Arrest of suspects in youth minister homicide
(CNS) – Police today confirmed the arrests of two people in connection with the slaying of a 23-year-old youth minister who was gunned down in Venice a week ago. But police did not immediately release any details of the arrests made in the June 4 killing of Oscar Duncan. A $50,000 reward had been offered in the case.
Duncan, who grew up in Venice, was a youth minister with the Boys and Girls Club of Venice and also worked with Takeover Youth Ministry in Inglewood. He was in front of a residence when a white, older-model car with several male occupants pulled up in the 600 block of Santa Clara Avenue about 10:30 p.m.
“There was an exchange of words and one shot was fired, striking the victim,” said LAPD Lt. Marco Munoz of the Pacific Station.
Police had said they were seeking as many as four suspects who were in the Honda sedan. The victim was not a gang member, but the suspects may have been gang members, police said.
Duncan had posted a Bible quote from Deuteronomy on Twitter the day he was shot.