Man pleads not guilty to breaking into LL Cool J's home
VAN NUYS (CNS) – A transient who allegedly broke into LL Cool J’s Studio City home last week and was overpowered by the muscle-bound rapper-actor pleaded not guilty today to a burglary charge.
Jonathan A. Kirby, 56, was ordered to remain jailed on $1.1 million bail while awaiting a hearing Sept. 10 in Van Nuys Superior Court to determine if there is enough evidence to require him to stand trial.
Kirby was hospitalized for a broken nose, jaw and ribs following the Aug. 22 early morning run-in with the star, who detained the suspect until officers arrived to take him into custody, authorities said.
The actor, who plays a hard-charging federal agent and former Navy SEAL on the CBS drama “NCIS: Los Angeles,” was upstairs when the man entered his residence in the 12000 block of Blairwood Drive, according to Los Angeles police Sgt. Frank Preciado.
“Once James Todd Smith, also known as LL Cool J, came downstairs, he encountered the suspect in his kitchen,” the sergeant said.
The LAPD’s Van Nuys Division was contacted around 1 a.m. by a female caller who reported an intruder in the house. When officers arrived, they saw LL Cool J “in control of the suspect” and took the man into custody and handcuffed him, Preciado said. The actor was not injured.
Kirby was charged Aug. 23 as a “third-striker.” The District Attorney’s Office reported that he could face a maximum of 38 years to life in prison if convicted.
The criminal complaint alleges that Kirby has four prior convictions, including a 1988 voluntary manslaughter conviction in Dallas and a burglary conviction in Los Angeles County in 1995.
A representative of LL Cool J released a statement last week on the actor’s behalf, saying he “and his family are safe and thank everyone for their thoughts and concern. As a father, husband and citizen, he is committed to keeping his family safe and is cooperating with authorities on this private matter.”