2013 Rose Queen selected
PASADENA (CNS) – A 17-year-old student at Mayfield Senior School in Pasadena was chosen today as the 2013 Rose Queen.
Vanessa Natalie Manjarrez of Pasadena was chosen from among the seven members of the Tournament of Roses Royal Court, which was announced last week.
She plans to study science and business in college and is interested in stem cell research and genetics.
Vanessa and the members of the Royal Court will preside over about 150 events leading up to the 124th edition of Tournament of Roses Parade and 99th Rose Bowl Game.
The members of the court, all 17 years old, were chosen from more than 900 applicants. They are:
– Kathryne Alice Benuska, Maranatha High School;
– Tracy Italia Cresta, La Salle High School;
– Victoria Sophia McGregor, Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy;
– Nicole Cherie Nelam, Pasadena High School;
– Sonia Marie Shenoi, San Marino High School; and
– Madison Michelle Barili Teodo, La Canada High School.
Members of the Royal Court are chosen based on a variety of criteria including public speaking, poise, academic achievement, community involvement and personality.