SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) – An 86-year-old man is the first to die from West Nile virus in San Bernardino County. Fifteen Californians have died from the mosquito-borne virus so far this year.
County spokesman David Wert says privacy laws only allow him to say that the man died last week in the west county, which includes Chino Hills, Chino, Montclair, Upland, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga and unincorporated areas.
The Riverside Press-Enterprise says the man contracted the virus on Oct. 6.
One out of every 150 infected people develop severe symptoms, including neck stiffness, disorientation, coma and paralysis.