Last day to vote on Panda's name
SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Today is the last day for the public to vote for a name for the 13-week-old giant panda cub at the San Diego Zoo.
The finalists, narrowed down from more than 7,000 name suggestions received last month, are:
– Qi Ji, which means Miracle;
– Yu Di, which means Raindrop;
– Da Hai, which means Big Ocean or Big Sea;
– Xiao Liwu, which means Little Gift;
– Yong Er, which means Brave Son; and
– Shui Long, which means Water Dragon.
The choice that receives the most votes at San Diego Zoo by 5 p.m. will become the male cub’s name. The website allows one vote per email address.
The zoo is following Chinese tradition by naming the male cub after he is 100 days old, in mid-November.
The San Diego Zoo is one of four in the U.S. that keep giant pandas for research purposes. Around 1,600 are believed to be left in the wild in their native China.