Funeral held for boy, 8, killed by marathon bomb

View Comments
Martin Richard, child killed in explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon (AP Photo)

Martin Richard, child killed in explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon (AP Photo)

BOSTON (AP) — The youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing, 8-year-old Martin Richard, was buried Tuesday and is now at peace, his family said.

A private funeral Mass was held in the morning for Martin, followed by his burial, a statement said. Only immediate family members attended.

“The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous,” the Richards’ statement said. “This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal.”

The family, from Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood, said it would hold a public memorial service in the coming weeks to celebrate Martin’s life.

The boy was among three people killed when two bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. His mother and 6-year-old sister were among the more than 260 others wounded.

Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford, and Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old Boston University graduate student from China, also died in the attack. On Monday, Campbell’s funeral was at St. Joseph Church in Medford, Mass., and a memorial for Lu took place on Boston University’s campus hours later.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology police Officer Sean Collier was fatally shot three days after the bombing, allegedly by the suspects. His private funeral happened Tuesday.

On Wednesday, MIT will hold a memorial service for Collier. Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to attend.

MIT students and thousands of law enforcement officers also are expected to attend, but the university says the event isn’t open to the public.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28,182 other followers