Ammonia leak in Long Beach
LONG BEACH (CNS) – A smell of ammonia drew Long Beach Fire Department HazMat units to a cold storage facility in the area of Anaheim Street and Daisy Avenue this morning and prompted authorities to tell residents to stay indoors.
The facility is the same where a leak was discovered Feb. 2, said Long Beach Fire Department spokesman Matt Dobberpuhl.
Streets around Long Beach Cold Storage and Logistics were closed to traffic, a news photographer reported from the scene.
HazMat units responding to the February emergency spotted a 4,000-gallon tank with a small leak in it and a large amount of industrial ammonia that had leaked out, said fire Capt. Jim Arvizu. Firefighters stopped the leak and contained the ammonia, he said.