Tenn. Guard recruiter held in superiors’ shooting

ADRIAN SAINZ, Associated Press
View Comments
Maj. Gen. Max Haston, right, Adjutant General of the Tennessee National Guard, speaks at a news conference near a Guard armory where two Guard members were shot on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013 in Millington, Tenn. At left is Tennessee National Guard spokesman Randy Harris. (AP Photo/Adrian Sainz)

Maj. Gen. Max Haston, right, Adjutant General of the Tennessee National Guard, speaks at a news conference near a Guard armory where two Guard members were shot on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013 in Millington, Tenn. At left is Tennessee National Guard spokesman Randy Harris. (AP Photo/Adrian Sainz)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee National Guard recruiter accused of shooting three fellow soldiers at an armory north of Memphis was formally charged in federal court on Friday.

U.S. District Magistrate Judge Diane Vescovo told Amos Patton he is charged with committing assaults within the maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States and carrying a weapon during a federal crime of violence.

Patton told the judge that he could not afford his own lawyer. Vescovo granted his request to appoint a public defender. Vescovo also scheduled a probable cause and detention hearing for Wednesday.

According to a criminal complaint, Patton had been ordered to go to the armory to be relieved of duty because of alleged misconduct. The complaint does not detail the nature of the misconduct.

 

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28,157 other followers