Bizarre freeway chase ends in Sherman Oaks

View Comments
(Photo Credit: California Highway Patrol)

(Photo Credit: California Highway Patrol)

SHERMAN OAKS (CNS) – An unidentified man was arrested today after a two-county high-speed pursuit that began in Westminster and ended in bizarre fashion on the Ventura (101) Freeway in Sherman Oaks.

After a 75-minute pursuit that reached speeds of more than 100 miles per hour on the San Diego (405) Freeway, the severely disabled black pickup truck came to a stop on the empty lanes of the 101.

California Highway Patrol officers in five vehicles waited in a line across the eastbound lanes of the freeway with weapons drawn as the driver, a white male, leaned out of the window of his vehicle, gesturing toward them with both hands.

The five-minute standoff was resolved when four CHP officers approached the vehicle from the passenger side, one of them reaching in and pulling the driver across the front seat, and out the passenger side door.

The confrontation ended a chase that began in Westminster when officers attempted to pull the driver over for speeding, CHP Orange County Supervisor Bill Benard said.

Benard said the driver drove in circles on the 405 north during the subsequent pursuit, which reached speeds “well over 100 mph”.

The suspect’s vehicle, a black Chevy Silverado, came off the 405 near Sherman Oaks and then headed westbound on Ventura Boulevard, occasionally stopping and then accelerating away as officers exited their vehicles.

The suspect drove his vehicle across spiked strips at least twice, but continued to drive as first, his front passenger side tire, then the driver’s side rear tire both blew out.

At one point, the pickup was driven slowly north on a residential street, the 4900 block of Rubio Avenue, its rear wheels down to the rims and trailing heavy smoke, as five CHP vehicles followed.

The chase resumed on the eastbound lanes of the 101, the truck fishtailing and spinning in a circle after CHP officers used their vehicles to try to pin it against the center divider.

The pickup came to a stop at 5:10 a.m. Five minutes later, the driver was in custody.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28,182 other followers