Russian Islamic video threatens Sochi Olympics

Lynn Barry, Associated Press
View Comments
In this Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 file photo an ambulance leaves the site of an explosion after a bomb blast tore through the trolleybus, background, in the city of Volgograd. A series of unexplained killings in southern Russia involving booby-trapped bombs has further heightened security fears ahead of next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi. A spokesman for Russia's main investigative agency, said in a statement that no motive had yet been found for killings on Wednesday Jan. 8, 2014 on the outskirts of Pyatigorsk, which is the center of an administrative district created in 2010 to coordinate efforts to combat the insurgency. (AP Photo/Denis Tyrin, File)

In this Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 file photo an ambulance leaves the site of an explosion after a bomb blast tore through the trolleybus, background, in the city of Volgograd. A series of unexplained killings in southern Russia involving booby-trapped bombs has further heightened security fears ahead of next month’s Winter Olympics in Sochi. A spokesman for Russia’s main investigative agency, said in a statement that no motive had yet been found for killings on Wednesday Jan. 8, 2014 on the outskirts of Pyatigorsk, which is the center of an administrative district created in 2010 to coordinate efforts to combat the insurgency. (AP Photo/Denis Tyrin, File)

MOSCOW (AP) — An Islamic militant group in Russia’s North Caucasus claimed responsibility Sunday for twin suicide bombings in the southern city of Volgograd last month and posted a video threatening to strike the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

There had been no previous claim of responsibility for the bombings, which killed 34 people and heightened security fears before next month’s Winter Games.

In the video, two Russian-speaking men warned President Vladimir Putin that “If you hold these Olympics, we will give you a present for the innocent Muslim blood being spilled all around the world: In Afghanistan, in Somalia, in Syria.”

They added that “for the tourists who come, there will be a present, too.”

In a statement posted with the video on its website, the militant group Vilayat Dagestan claimed responsibility for the Volgograd bombings.

The video claims that the two men, identified as Suleiman and Abdurakhman, were the suicide bombers and purports to show the explosives being prepared and strapped to their bodies.

There was no immediate reaction to the video from the Russian security services.

During much of the 49-minute video, the two men speak to the camera while holding Kalashnikov automatic rifles. Behind them hang black banners with Arabic religious phrases similar to those used by al-Qaida.

Vilayat Dagestan is one of the groups that make up the so-called Caucasus Emirate, which seeks to establish an independent Islamic state in the North Caucasus, a region just to the east of Sochi on Russia’s southern border.

Dagestan, one of several predominantly Muslim republics in the North Caucasus, has become the center of the Islamic insurgency that has spread throughout the region following separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya.

In response to the terrorist threat, Russia has introduced sweeping security measures for the Sochi Games.

The Chechen leader of the Caucasus Emirate, Doku Umarov, had ordered a halt to attacks on civilian targets in 2012, but he rescinded that order in July and urged his followers to try to undermine the Olympics.

The Kremlin-backed leader of Chechnya claimed last week that Umarov was dead, but the claim couldn’t be verified.

The Vilayat Dagestan statement said the Volgograd attacks were carried out in part because of Umarov’s order, but didn’t specifically say he had ordered them.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus