1st lawsuit filed in deadly NYC blast

View Comments
Police respond to the scene of an explosion and building collapse in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York, Wednesday, March 12, 2014. The explosion leveled two apartment buildings, and sent flames and billowing black smoke above the skyline. (AP Photo/Jeremy Sailing)

Police respond to the scene of an explosion and building collapse in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York, Wednesday, March 12, 2014. The explosion leveled two apartment buildings, and sent flames and billowing black smoke above the skyline. (AP Photo/Jeremy Sailing)

L.A.'s Morning News: Phil Hulett and Penny Griego
Weekdays, 5 a.m. -9 a.m.
Read More

NEW YORK (AP) – A New York City woman has sued Con Edison over the explosion that leveled two apartment buildings last week.

The New York Post (http://bit.ly/1dk2CgK ) reports that 46-year-old Michelle Nelson of Harlem filed the civil suit Monday, becoming the first to sue over the deadly blast.

Nelson’s lawsuit says she sustained “severe and permanent injuries” when the explosion caused her to fall in her apartment more than a block away.

The lawsuit names Con Edison and the owner of 1646 Park Ave., one of the collapsed buildings.

It says they neglected their “duty to keep … the premises in a safe, proper and secure manner.”

Con Ed says it has not seen the lawsuit and could not comment. The owner of 1646 didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28,167 other followers