Porsche responds to lawsuit filed in Paul Walker crash

View Comments
In this Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013 photo, firefighters work next to the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole killing actor Paul Walker and his friend Roger Rodas in Valencia, Calif. (AP Photo/The Santa Clarita Valley Signal, Dan Watson)

In this Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013 photo, firefighters work next to the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole killing actor Paul Walker and his friend Roger Rodas in Valencia, Calif. (AP Photo/The Santa Clarita Valley Signal, Dan Watson)

LOS ANGELES (CNS) – A spokesman for Porsche Cars North America Inc., responding today to a lawsuit filed by the widow of the driver killed along with actor Paul Walker in the Nov. 30 crash of a Porsche Carrera GT, said the motorist’s actions caused the double fatality.

Kristine Rodas, wife of Roger Rodas, filed the suit Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging wrongful death, negligence and products liability and seeking unspecified damages.

“We are very sorry for the Rodas and Walker family’s loss,” Porsche spokesman Nick Twork said. “The crash was the subject of a detailed investigation by the proper authorities … and their investigation disproves the allegations in the lawsuit. The investigation found that driving at a high speed in a negligent manner caused the crash and concluded that there was no mechanical defect.”

Sheriff’s investigators said Rodas was driving more than 93 mph. He and Walker had been at a charity event in Santa Clarita before taking a spin in the high-performance car.

The lawsuit alleges a suspension defect in the right rear wheel area of the 2005 Carrera GT sent the car out of control despite Roger Rodas’ attempts to stay on the road.

A higher standard of crash protection should have been used in the car, given that it was designed with race car capabilities, according to the plaintiff.

 

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28,185 other followers